- This event has passed.
Virtual Monthly Parent Training with Donna Erickson, MA
June 15, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Getting Beneath the Iceberg
Getting Beneath the Iceberg will help caregivers and parents decode their child’s cognitive triangle (their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors). Most children who have experienced trauma will have different basic needs than children who have not. Their needs, wants and fears will look quite different based on their past experiences. Parents will see how mistaken goals present themselves in misguided behaviors and will learn how to speak a more positive language to redirect behaviors. How to use specific criterion-based feedback will be presented with the goal of motivating children. It will also outline proven parenting techniques to help children succeed based on current research.
Topics that will be discussed:
- How thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are perceived by children
- Children’s basic Needs, Wants, and Fears
- The three universal questions children are asking
- Children’s mistaken goals
- Developing a state of calm and its role in will power
- Parents will learn how to speak the positive language of discipline to encourage appropriate behaviors
- How to use specific criterion-based feedback to help motivate children.
- Techniques researched by Paul Tough to help children succeed
- All of these techniques have been proven and are appropriate for all children irrespective of their histories.
National Child Trauma Stress Network
Carol Dweck, Stanford University
Dr. Jane Nelsen – Positive Discipline
Dr. Dan Siegel – Mindsight
Dr. Kelly McGonigal – The Willpower Instinct
Paul Tough – Helping Children Succeed: What Works and Why[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”10422″ img_size=”medium”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”10891″ img_size=”large” alignment=”right” onclick=”custom_link” link=”https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYkdu2tpjgpHNfre3kymf-1Un9F7VoecyR2″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Donna Erickson, M.A. is a valued Help One Child Trainer and Podcasts and Blog contributor. Donna has trained Foster Parents for 30+ years through The Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children Services and served as the Foster and Kinship Care Education Program Director for 16 of those years. Donna stays current on her continuing education in her three fields of expertise: nursing, counseling, and educating. She brings experience and wisdom from her years as a foster youth, parent and grandparent![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]