How to apply to be a Signs Of Hope Camp counselor:
- Dowload the Signs Of Hope Camp Counselor Checklist. This will help you track your progress and be sure you don’t miss any important steps!
- Submit a Counselor Applicaton (red buttons to the left). Please click the appropriate application determined by if you have been a counselor at Signs Of Hope camp in the past.
- There are two sections to the application, be sure to complete and submit each section when prompted to.
- You will be sent an automated email confirming your camper application submission. In this email you will recieve two documents, the Waiver and Liability and a Statment of Faith. (Both forms are listed below as well)
- Please print the Statement of Faith and Waiver and Liability Form. Return both documents to Danielle Pickard either through email, mail, or in person prior to August 9th.
- First time counselors:
- You will be asked to schedule an interview with Danielle and the Camp Contractor.
- If you are over the age of 18, you will also need to be LiveScanned at latest one week prior to camp. Your automatic email will include the LiveScan Form and Instructions (also found below).
- All full time counselors will be asked to attend trainings prior to camp to ensure that you are prepared and equipped for the week. These trainings are mandatory. If you are unable to attend, you will need to make up the training at a later date.
Prior to Camp:
- Submit your application, waiver, and statement of faith
- Interview with Leadership Team
- Get LiveScanned
- Attend a mandatory training
- Fundraise for camperships ($500 – see fundraising tools below)
- Collect decorations for your cabin based on camp theme
- Pray for your campers
- Arrive Sunday morning, August 4, to prepare your cabin and set up camp!
- Lead your campers through their daily schedule – meals, field games, quiet time, pool fun, ropes course, and other activities facilitated by Mission Springs staff
- Read and abide by the Counselor Code of Conduct
- Attend daily counselor devotionals
- Assist in meeting the individual camper’s needs – spiritual, emotional, social, and physical
- Maintain morale & support campers with a positive attitude and Biblical approach
- Know whereabouts of each camper in your cabin every minute of the day
- Stay on time for meeting, activities and meals
- Report any incidents to the Leadership Team and call for behavioral assistance when needed
- Assist campers in maintaining cabin cleanliness
- HAVE FUN!
- Counselor Appreciation Party!
- Thank and report back to your supporters and church
Volunteer for other Help One Child programs, and continue relationships with campers and other children in foster care!
All Full-Time Counselors are required to attend three mandatory trainings.
Sunday, July 7th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum:Camp Operations and Introduction to the Foster Care System
Sunday, July 14th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum:Camp Operations and Introduction to the Foster Care System pt 2
Sunday, July 21st 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Testarosa Winery
Sunday, July 28th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum: Application and Preparation
Clothes Check List:
- Comfortable close-toes walking/hiking shoes
- T-Shirts (modest sleeveless shirts are ok)
- Sweatshirt and/or jacket
- Modest pajamas/sweats
- Modest swimsuit (Ladies must bring a one-piece suit or wear a t-shirt over their two-piece suit)
- Flip flops for pool/shower
- Beach towel
- Towels and washcloths
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Lip balm
- Bug spray
- Any necessary medications (will need to be given to the nurse)
- Sleeping bag
Extra Necessary Supplies:
- Watch and/or alarm clock
- Cabin Decorations
- Refillable water bottle
- A positive and flexible attitude!
- Speaker for music (no electricity in cabins)
- Snacks and games for counselors (we will store them in the dining hall)
- For campers at bedtime: books to read aloud, colored pens/markers/crayons/pencils and scratch paper, mellow music
What NOT to bring to camp:
- Gifts/Candy/Snacks/Soda for the children
- Secular music
- Any valuables
- Anything dangerous (knives, etc.)
On arrival, you will receive:
- Counselor Nametag
- Counselor T-Shirt
- Master Schedule / Cabin Activity Schedule
- Camp Map
- Memory Book Guidelines
Download a check list here!
Invite your friends to our Signs of Hope Camp Fundraisers!
Join us for the annual 4th of July Pancake Breakfast at Union Presbyterian Church! Cost: Donation Only. All proceeds from the event will go toward Signs of Hope Camp.
When: Wednesday, July 4
Time: 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Where: Union Presbyterian Church
Join us for a summer afternoon on the beautiful outdoor patio at Testarossa Winery with tasty hors d’oeuvres, awesome raffle prizes, and more!
When: Sunday, July 21
Where: Testarosa Winery
Host a Donation Drive at your church!
We’ve got you covered! We’ll provide the flyers and materials if you host a table at your church in July. Email Danielle@helponechild.org for more information.
- Host a Paint Nite with your friends! Click here for more information.
- Start a Go Fund Me page and share with your friends and family on Facebook.
- Email Valerie@helponechild.org and let’s brainstorm together!
We’re preparing a Sample Letter for you to send out to friends and family.
Come back soon for the downloadable copy!