Prior to Camp:
- Submit your application, waiver, and statement of faith
- Interview with Leadership Team
- Get LiveScanned
- Attend a mandatory training
- Fundraise for camperships ($500 – see fundraising tools below)
- Collect decorations for your cabin based on camp theme
- Pray for your campers
- Arrive Sunday morning, August 4, to prepare your cabin and set up camp!
- Lead your campers through their daily schedule – meals, field games, quiet time, pool fun, ropes course, and other activities facilitated by Mission Springs staff
- Read and abide by the Counselor Code of Conduct
- Attend daily counselor devotionals
- Assist in meeting the individual camper’s needs – spiritual, emotional, social, and physical
- Maintain morale & support campers with a positive attitude and Biblical approach
- Know whereabouts of each camper in your cabin every minute of the day
- Stay on time for meeting, activities and meals
- Report any incidents to the Leadership Team and call for behavioral assistance when needed
- Assist campers in maintaining cabin cleanliness
- HAVE FUN!
- Counselor Appreciation Party!
- Thank and report back to your supporters and church
Volunteer for other Help One Child programs, and continue relationships with campers and other children in foster care!
All Full-Time Counselors are required to attend three mandatory trainings.
Sunday, July 7th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum:Camp Operations and Introduction to the Foster Care System
Sunday, July 14th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum:Camp Operations and Introduction to the Foster Care System pt 2
Sunday, July 21st 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Testarosa Winery
Sunday, July 28th 6:00 – 8:30 PM at Help One Child, Los Altos
Curriculum: Application and Preparation
Clothes Check List:
- Comfortable close-toes walking/hiking shoes
- T-Shirts (modest sleeveless shirts are ok)
- Sweatshirt and/or jacket
- Modest pajamas/sweats
- Modest swimsuit (Ladies must bring a one-piece suit or wear a t-shirt over their two-piece suit)
- Flip flops for pool/shower
- Beach towel
- Towels and washcloths
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Lip balm
- Bug spray
- Any necessary medications (will need to be given to the nurse)
- Sleeping bag
Extra Necessary Supplies:
- Watch and/or alarm clock
- Cabin Decorations
- Refillable water bottle
- A positive and flexible attitude!
- Speaker for music (no electricity in cabins)
- Snacks and games for counselors (we will store them in the dining hall)
- For campers at bedtime: books to read aloud, colored pens/markers/crayons/pencils and scratch paper, mellow music
What NOT to bring to camp:
- Gifts/Candy/Snacks/Soda for the children
- Secular music
- Any valuables
- Anything dangerous (knives, etc.)
On arrival, you will receive:
- Counselor Nametag
- Counselor T-Shirt
- Master Schedule / Cabin Activity Schedule
- Camp Map
- Memory Book Guidelines
Download a check list here!
Invite your friends to our Signs of Hope Camp Fundraisers!
Join us for the annual 4th of July Pancake Breakfast at Union Presbyterian Church! Cost: Donation Only. All proceeds from the event will go toward Signs of Hope Camp.
When: Wednesday, July 4
Time: 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Where: Union Presbyterian Church
Join us for a summer afternoon on the beautiful outdoor patio at Testarossa Winery with tasty hors d’oeuvres, awesome raffle prizes, and more!
When: Sunday, July 21
Where: Testarosa Winery
Host a Donation Drive at your church!
We’ve got you covered! We’ll provide the flyers and materials if you host a table at your church in July. Email Danielle@helponechild.org for more information.
- Host a Paint Nite with your friends! Click here for more information.
- Start a Go Fund Me page and share with your friends and family on Facebook.
- Email Valerie@helponechild.org and let’s brainstorm together!
We’re preparing a Sample Letter for you to send out to friends and family.
Come back soon for the downloadable copy!