Our mission is to strengthen foster, adoptive, and at-risk families. We offer families in our network access to education, community, and tangible resources. We accomplish this by partnering with local churches and the community, providing them tools and opportunities to engage and support those in need. By addressing the unique needs of foster, adoptive and vulnerable families we strive to positively impact the long-term health and stability for family preservation.
Through a wide variety of difficult circumstances in the family of origin, it sometimes becomes necessary for children to be placed in the care of a new adoptive or foster family either through the county court system or by mutual family agreement. While adoption is permanent, foster care falls into both short-term (child is placed into a foster family until reunification) or long-term when reunification is not an option. The foster or adoptive families stepping forward to care for these children may find themselves overwhelmed by new challenges specific to each foster care placement or adoption. We all know that the single most important aspect for maturing children into successful adults is the consistency of a loving and caring family who can nurture and support that child’s unique talents and gifts.
- Parent Support Groups for foster, kinship, and adoptive families: These monthly small group meetings are led by experienced foster/adoptive parents with child care provided. Each meeting provides community for the families and forward movement by covering a topic or behavioral matter specific to fost/adopt parenting. The support groups provide invaluable new insights and approaches to addressing the unique challenges of fost/adopt care, including sharing of resources, approaches, and concerns, all in a confidential setting and with other parents with similar concerns and issues. Help One Child provides example curriculum and guides for the leaders of these groups, which provides organic growth of these local support communities and the formation of new ones.
- Parenting Education: We provide materials that help fost/adopt parents understand the root causes of certain behaviors in their children, and how parents can respond to and modify those behaviors.
- CarePortal: This online platform brings the needs of hurting children and families in our community to the church’s attention. As the Regional Manager, Help One Child collaborates with county child welfare workers to uncover the needs, and makes local churches aware, giving them a real-time opportunity to respond.
- Respite Events: Throughout the year Help One Child partners with churches to host respite events providing parents with a couple of kid-free hours while their children are cared for by a trained volunteer team to provide a safe, structured, and fun environment.
- Summer Camp: Help One Child hosts an overnight camp for foster youth ages 7-12. This opportunity provides respite for the family and a setting for foster kids to form new relationships with peers on a similar life journey.
Help One Child serves ANY child or family who have either adopted or have a Child Protective Services case open. Jesus cast the widest net of love, tearing down cultural biases and promoting radical, personal generosity and concern for those in need. With that example, Help One Child brings together diverse constituents – government agencies, churches, businesses, schools, and other ministries – to support children and families in crisis regardless of race, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, political leanings, etc.
Help One Child partners with Christian churches to care for children and families impacted by child welfare services or adoption; stimulating life-changing relational connections in the process. The example and teachings of Jesus fuel everything we do. At the same time, Help One Child also brings together diverse constituents – government agencies, businesses, schools, and other faith-based ministries – to accomplish a common mission of caring for children together. There is a place at the table for everyone.